My sister recently died. Her body was frozen for potential future restoration. A relative expressed surprise that I “believe that dead people might perhaps be able to be restored to life after cryonics.” Here is my response:
The key word is “might”; I suppose I do believe that people might be restored to life. Here are my thoughts:
- When I supported my sister’s wishes, I certainly did
not expect her to be resurrected (and still don’t). It was simply a case that our parents
had left money to her. If that was
what she wanted to do with the money, I thought we should honor her wishes.
- As I was going through the legal aspect of that
possibility, I thought I should try to get appropriate protections in
place, no matter how low the possibility.
- Recently, I noted that it was good that her remaining
assets were being held to care for her should she be restored. I actually had mixed feelings. Sure, that was good if she was to be
restored. But that money could have
been put to better use to help the world.
I find that frustrating.
- While I don’t expect her to be restored, I am aware
that I don’t know what will happen in the future. Scientists have created living clones of
dead animals, even an animal that was extinct. That would suggest that maybe some part
of my sister’s body could be used to create a living human.
- However, if she is restored, there are several issues
including, but not limited to:
- Would she have the same memories, personality,
etc.? I doubt it.
- Would she be able to take care of herself in a future
society which will have changed a lot?
I doubt it.
- Would she live a happy, useful life under those circumstances? I doubt it.
- I have no interest in being frozen to be restored.
The
cryonics issue overlaps partly with abortion and medical aid in dying.
- I am not a religious person, but I hear people argue against
abortion because “we shouldn’t try to alter God’s intent”.
- However, those same people typically strongly favor extensive
life-extending efforts when they are dying. Isn’t that “trying to alter God’s intent”?
- Cryonics appears to be trying to alter God’s intent.
My
position on these issues is:
- Parents should have the right to abort a baby. It should be the mother’s decision, but
she should at least try to discuss the alternatives with the father if the
baby was willingly conceived.
- Medical aid in dying is a civil right.
- I tolerate cryonics however it does not seem to be to
be a civil right. If a government
outlawed cryonics, I wouldn’t object.
I do object to outlawing either abortion or medical aid in dying.
No comments:
Post a Comment